Is there a difference between moisturization and hydration? Skin care companies often use the two interchangeably and they are pretty similar. Both of them have to do with water and your skin. Here’s what the dictionary says about it:
- Moisturize: to add or restore water to something.
- Hydrate: to absorb water.
In simpler terms, they both provide water to the skin. The difference between 'moisturizing' and 'hydrating' products is how they work. Products that hydrate the skin increase the water content of your skin by pulling moisture from deep within. While moisturizing products help prevent water from escaping due to evaporation by creating a barrier or reinforcing your skin’s natural barrier.
Now you know more about the difference between hydration and moisturization, which one does your skin need? It comes down to your skin lacking oils or water.
- Dry Skin - the skin type, dry skin, is skin that lacks enough sebum or oil, but does not necessarily lack enough moisture. It is a condition that typically doesn’t change often.
- Dehydrated Skin - is skin that lacks enough water and can change throughout the day. Dehydrated skin can be seen as dry, rough, flaky and itchy.
- Dry and Dehydrated Skin - unfortunately this is all too common that you have dry and dehydrated skin.
What's The Solution To Your Dry Skin?
The outermost layer of the skin, the stratum corneum, limits water loss from the body to the environment. However, there are times when the air is dry and our skin becomes too dry and dehydrated. We need to protect our skin’s natural barrier to maximize the benefits to our skin.
- Oil-based serums, like our Every Lipid Serum, will help your dry skin type maintain a strong skin barrier that will pull moisture into your skin.
- Water-based creams, like our Ultimate Moisturizing Cream, will provide your skin with much needed moisture and lock it in.
Skin Care Routine For Dry/Dehydrated Skin
- Cleanse your face twice a day with Skin Actives' Cleansing Oil and/or Gentle Cleansing Cream for a clean face without stripping your natural oils.
- Repair the skin barrier with our Collagen Serum or Every Lipid Serum to replenish, repair and nourish you skin for fresher, younger looking skin that will better protect you from the elements. Apply once or twice a day.
- Lock in moisture with our Ultimate Moisturizing Cream for the most a soft, smooth feel to your skin. Your skin will stay protected longer with our thick and creamy moisturizer that is quickly absorbed by your skin. Apply twice a day.
- Gently exfoliate your skin nightly with our Vitamin A Cream. Did you know that our Vitamin A Cream is full of nourishing oils and moisturizers too?
Check out our full line of Hydrating products and buy one, get one free for a limited time through June 20th, 2020. Just add both Hydrating products to your cart and the discount will be taken automatically at checkout. No coupon code needed. As always, we offer free standard shipping in the US.