Skin Actives has been doing DIY for years, it’s how we got our start. Our founder, Dr. Hannah Sivak loves to cook, and she wanted to share with our customers her passion for the way that chemistry can be found in both the kitchen and in skin care.
So, if you have a little extra time for a hobby while you are stuck inside, why don’t you try blending up this serum with just three easy ingredients you can get from the Skin Actives store?
But first, let’s take a quick look at the ingredients and some of their benefits.
Benefits of Niacinamide for your skin
Niacinamide is a powerhouse ingredient that takes on a lot of the stubborn challenges we deal with on a daily basis. You’ll find niacinamide in a lot of potent products because it does so many things at the same time. For one, it has an anti-inflammatory benefit which will help in reducing redness as well. Niacinamides fight our old enemy, reactive oxygen species (ROS*) so that base is covered as well. Additionally, it can help defend you from UV, along with a whole host of other benefits! Check out this blog we did, just about niacinamide.
Benfits of Zinc PCA for your skin
We’ll add Zinc PCA to our mixture so for an additional boost, moisturizing our skin. Our bodies produce the “PCA” in “Zinc PCA” naturally, but adding some extra will help you hang on to the moisture that your skin absorbs. It can also help moderate the creation of sebum and has some anti-bacterial elements.
Benefits of Skin Actives Base Serum
Skin Actives Scientific’s Base Serum is a lightweight serum with plenty of hydrating and skin-softening solvents to make it easy to mix your DIY ingredients into it. It is paraben free and vegan. Because it has so few ingredients, it’s the perfect base to use for our DIY project.
How To Make A Niacinamide-Zinc Serum at Home
Dr. Sivak calls this formulation, “The Niacinamide Zinc Serum” and we think that you’ll find it’s a fun and easy project you can do in your down time.
Let’s Get Started!
Implements you will need:
- A small spatula or mini-whisk.
- Paper towels to cover the surface where you will work.
- Isopropyl alcohol to sterilize your implements. We recommend using a spray bottle to dispense the alcohol.
- A small bowl for mixing all your ingredients.
- Plus a notebook where you will write all the details so, if you are happy with the result of your project, you will be able to recreate it.
- This Blemish Reduction Recipe Kit provides you with the Base Serum, Niacinamide and Zinc PCA to make this recipe. Hint: Its not just for reducing the appearance of blemishes!
Mixing Your Serum
- You can do all the mixing at room temperature.
- Empty the 4 oz. Base Serum into your bowl.
- Add the tube of the niacinamide and mix it in using a spatula or spoon. Make sure to mix thoroughly.
- Next add the tube of the Zinc PCA into your formulation and mix it completely.
- Pour the final mixture back into your glass serum bottle, and you’re ready to use!
For great products from Skin Actives that includes Niacinamide, shop here.
We hope that was fun and you get a lot of use out of your new creation. You can use it twice a day, in the morning and evening as part of your anti-aging, redness reduction, oil control or moisturizing routine! Check back here for more DIY projects, coming soon!