Skin Actives has been doing DIY for years, it’s how we got our start. Our founder, Dr. Hannah Sivak loves to cook, and she wanted to share with our customers her passion for the way that chemistry can be found in both the kitchen and in skin care.
So, if you have a little extra time for a hobby while you are stuck inside, why don’t you try blending up this cream with just three easy ingredients you can get from the Skin Actives store?
But first, let’s take a quick look at the ingredients and some of their benefits.
Benefits of Niacinamide for your skin
Niacinamide is a powerhouse ingredient that takes on a lot of the stubborn challenges we deal with on a daily basis. You’ll find niacinamide in a lot of potent products because it does so many things at the same time. For one, it has an anti-inflammatory benefit which will help in reducing redness as well. Niacinamides fight our old enemy, reactive oxygen species (ROS*) so that base is covered as well. Additionally, it can help defend you from UV, along with a whole host of other benefits! Check out this blog we did, just about niacinamide.
Benfits of Zinc PCA for your skin
We’ll add Zinc PCA to our mixture so for an additional boost, moisturizing our skin. Our bodies produce the “PCA” in “Zinc PCA” naturally, but adding some extra will help you hang on to the moisture that your skin absorbs. It can also help moderate the creation of sebum and has some anti-bacterial elements.
Benefits of Hyaluronic Acid Gel
Skin Actives Scientific’s Hyaluronic Acid Gel is already a great way to fight aging with it’s high capacity to moisturize and support collagen synthesis. Hyaluronic Acid Gel doesn’t irritate and is great for all skin types. Because it has so few ingredients, it’s a great base to “hack” with our DIY project today!
How To Make A Niacinamide-Zinc Serum at Home
Dr. Sivak calls this formulation, “The Niacinamide Zinc Serum” and we think that you’ll find it’s a fun and easy project you can do in your down time.
Let’s Get Started!
Implements you will need:
- A small spatula or mini-whisk.
- Paper towels to cover the surface where you will work.
- Isopropyl alcohol to sterilize your implements. We recommend using a spray bottle to dispense the alcohol.
- A 4 oz. travel bottle from your local pharmacy.
- A small bowl for mixing all your ingredients.
- Plus a notebook where you will write all the details so, if you are happy with the result of your project, you will be able to recreate it.
- 1 x 6g tube of Niacinamide
- 1 x 10 mL tube of Zinc PCA
- 4 x 1 oz. Hyaluronic Acid Gel
Avoid adding essential oils or fragrance, they may cause or worsen irritation and stinging!
Mixing Your Serum
- You can do all the mixing at room temperature.
- Empty the entire 1 oz. Hyaluronic Acid Serum into your bowl.
- Add about a quarter (1.5 g) of the niacinamide tube and mix it in using a spatula or spoon. Make sure to mix thoroughly.
- Next add about a quarter (2.5 mL) of the Zinc PCA tube into your formulation and mix it completely.
- Empty the final mixture into a bottle, and you’re ready to use!
We hope that was fun and you get a lot of use out of your new creation. You can use it twice a day, in the morning and evening as part of your anti-aging, redness reduction, oil control or moisturizing routine! Check back here for more DIY projects, coming soon!